World Travel Guide > Guides > North America > Canada > Newfoundland And Labrador

Newfoundland And Labrador travel guide

About Newfoundland And Labrador

“Newfies” bear the brunt of many a Canadian joke, but they’re having the last laugh: raw natural beauty, charming little villages and welcoming locals should push Newfoundland and Labrador towards the front of your to-visit list.

Pretty wooden houses painted the colours of the rainbow cling to cliffsides and 10,000-year-old icebergs the size of castles drift past their front doors. Humpback, minke and blue whales (to name a few) dance offshore and half a million puffins nest in the rocks – count them if you don’t believe us.

Newfoundland and Labrador is almost three times the size of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island combined, and is blessed with 29,000km (18,125 miles) of craggy coastline. The province is filled with historic towns and landmarks documenting the region's indiginous aboriginal inhabitants, Viking visitors and maritime heritage.

Water Street on St John’s claims to be the oldest street in North America. And it is strange to think that you are actually closer here to Ireland's Cape Clear than to Ontario's Thunder Bay (though not so odd when you hear the local dialect – grab a copy of the Dictionary of Newfoundland English if you get stuck).

Newfoundland and Labrador is also a place of ancient landscapes, such as the unique and beautiful geological features of the UNESCO-listed Gros Morne National Park, or the colossal mountain ranges of the Torngat, Kaumajet and Kiglapait and their primeval exposed rock.

Many of the province’s indigenous people (the First Nations, Métis and Innu) still reside here, often in isolated communities. And the European descendants are fiercely proud of their roots, so if an Atlantic storm hits, dive into the nearest pub and enjoy an all-day knees-up, with fiddlers and accordion players cranking out Celtic-inspired tunes.

Key facts


405,212 sq km (156,453 sq miles).


527,800 (2015).

Population density:

1.3 per sq km.


St John's.

Travel Advice

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice.

Before you travel

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide as well as support for British nationals abroad, which includes:

  • advice on preparing for travel abroad and reducing risks
  • information for women, LGBT+ and disabled travellers

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated.

Travel insurance

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency.

This advice reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British citizen’ passport from the UK, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Canada set and enforce entry rules. If you’re not sure how these requirements apply to you, contact Canada’s High Commission in the UK.

COVID-19 rules

Countries may restrict travel or bring in rules at short notice. Check with your travel company or airline for changes.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Visit TravelHealthPro (from the UK Health Security Agency) for general COVID-19 advice for travellers.

Travel to Canada

There are no COVID-19 testing or vaccination requirements for passengers entering Canada. Avoid travelling if you have symptoms of COVID-19. See the Government of Canada’s website for more information on COVID-19 and travel.

Public spaces and services

The Government of Canada recommends that all travellers wear a face mask on public transport.

You may be asked to wear a face mask indoors, such as in hospitals or on public transport. You may need proof of vaccination to visit settings such as care homes.

Local authorities in Canada can introduce restrictions or measures at short notice. Comply with the rules and advice of the local authorities. Check the COVID-19 guidance for each province and territory.

Passport validity requirements

Your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay.

Visa requirements

Most people need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada – not both.

You do not need a visa for short visits (normally up to six months). You will need an eTA instead. Check entry requirements and find out if you need a visa or an eTA for your visit using this tool.

You may need to provide fingerprints and photos at a visa application centre to apply for permanent residence or a study or work permit. Find out if you need to give biometrics. If you do need to give biometrics, see the list of biometrics collection points.

When you arrive, you must show that you have enough funds to support yourself during your stay, even if you are staying with family or friends.

Contact Canada’s High Commission in the UK if you are unsure about visa requirements or your eligibility to enter the country, for example, if you have a criminal record or have been arrested.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

You must get an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) to enter or transit Canada by air, unless you’re exempt. Read the list of exemptions on the ETA website. If you enter Canada by land or sea, you don’t need an eTA. However, you must travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

If you have British-Canadian dual nationality, you cannot apply for an eTA. You need a valid Canadian passport instead.

The eTA website has information about the eTA system and how to apply.

Visa and eTA scams

Some unauthorised websites charge for submitting visa applications. These websites are not associated with the Government of Canada.

If you think you may have been a victim of a scam, use the eTA Check Status tool to confirm if your eTA is valid. If it has been 72 hours since you applied, and you have not received a confirmation of your application, complete this enquiry form.

Transiting through Canada

You must have a valid Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) to transit Canada, unless you are exempt.

If you have questions, contact:

Find out more about transiting Canada.

Travelling with children

If only one parent is present, carry a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent. Immigration officers have the right to question children using simple and appropriate language to see if there are any concerns about child abduction.

For further information, check with Canada’s High Commission in the UK or the Canada Border Services Agency.

Customs rules

There are strict rules about goods that can be taken into - and out - of Canada. You must declare anything that may be prohibited or subject to tax or duty.

Banned food products will be confiscated and you could be fined. Check the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website for more information.

If you visited a farm, or had contact with wild animals before entering Canada, and intend to visit a farm during your stay, you must complete the relevant section in your Customs Declaration Card. For more information, see the Government of Canada’s website on biosecurity.


There is a high threat of terrorist attack globally affecting UK interests and British nationals, including from groups and individuals who view the UK and British nationals as targets. You should remain vigilant at all times.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out how to reduce your risk from terrorism while abroad.

Terrorism in Canada

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Canada.

Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. You should remain aware of your surroundings, keep up to date with local media reports and follow the advice of local authorities.

Recent attacks include:

  • in 2023, one person was stabbed and injured in Surrey, British Columbia
  • in 2021, 4 people were killed and one injured by a vehicle in London, Ontario
  • in 2020, one person was killed with a hammer in Scarborough, Ontario
  • in 2020, one person was killed and 2 wounded in a machete attack in Toronto, Ontario

See the Government of Canada’s national terrorism threat level.


Take precautions to protect yourself from petty crime, including:

  • not leaving your bag or luggage unattended
  • keeping luggage out of sight in cars
  • keeping valuables and passport in a hotel safe
  • leaving copies of important documents with family and friends in the UK
  • carrying a photocopy of your passport for ID

Laws and cultural differences


Recreational cannabis is legally available in Canada. Local laws vary depending on the province or territory you are visiting. It is illegal to carry any form of cannabis into the UK without a valid licence issued by the Home Office. This includes cannabis and cannabinoid oils prescribed for medicinal purposes in Canada. It is illegal to take cannabis across the Canadian border without a permit or exemption authorised by Health Canada.

There is more information on the Canadian Border Services Agency website.


If you are hiking or camping, be considerate and cautious of local wildlife. You should:

  • take all rubbish with you including food items to avoid attracting animals to your site

  • be careful around animals with nearby young or nests – they may be aggressive when protecting their territory

  • research the region to learn about the local wildlife

  • take particular care if you’re in an area where bears have been sighted

  • keep a safe distance from any wildlife including marine animals and birds

  • follow park regulations

Transport risks

Road travel

Traffic and safety laws vary between provinces and territories. This includes laws on whether you are allowed to turn right on a red light. See more information on driving in Canada.

Follow speed limits and take extra care when travelling on country roads. Watch out for wild animals.

For more information on road conditions and road safety, see Transport Canada, the Canadian Automobile Association and Travel Canada.

Driving in winter

In winter, highways are often closed because of snowstorms and avalanches in Alberta, British Columbia and other provinces. Check local weather conditions on The Weather Network.

Driving conditions can be dangerous, even when roads remain open during a winter storm. Take care, follow local restrictions or guidelines, and make sure your vehicle has snow tyres and emergency supplies.

Car hire in Canada

You can drive a car in Canada using a full UK driving licence. However, some car hire companies may require you to have an International Driving Permit. Check your car hire company’s requirements before you travel. Always carry your driving licence and take out full insurance cover if you hire a vehicle.

Extreme weather and natural disasters


From July to November, coastal areas can be affected by hurricanes. Check the National Hurricane CentreEnvironment Canada and The Weather Network websites for the latest weather conditions. See FCDO advice on tropical cyclones.


Avalanches can happen in mountainous regions, including Alberta and British Columbia. Always follow avalanche advice and stay away from closed trails. Follow the directions of local guides or instructors. For more information and avalanche news, visit the Canadian Avalanche Foundation.

Earthquakes and tsunamis

Familiarise yourself with safety procedures in the event of an earthquake or tsunami. The Government of Canada has more information about emergency preparedness.


Summer thunderstorms are frequent in most parts of Canada, particularly between April and September. They can cause property damage and threaten lives.


Winter storms, which can involve severe freezing rain, blizzards and hail are frequent in many parts of Canada, particularly between November and April. They can cause perilous driving conditions, property damage and threaten lives. Follow local warnings or news for details.


Tornadoes can occur anywhere in Canada between May and September, but June to July is the peak season in:

  • Southern Ontario
  • Alberta
  • southeastern Quebec
  • Southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba through to Thunder Bay
  • the interior of British Columbia and western New Brunswick

Follow instructions from Canadian officials or law enforcement. Check the National Hurricane Centre for weather updates.

Forest fires

Forest fires can start at any time, whatever the season. There is more risk of fire in the grasslands and forests of western Canada, although in summer 2023 there were also significant fires in parts of Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia. Follow local warnings or news for details on latest outbreaks.

For more information about active wildfires and forecasts, visit the Canadian Wildland Fire Information System website.

Arctic travel

Parts of Canada are in the Arctic Circle, including some very remote areas of land and sea. Emergency medical assistance and search and rescue are limited in these areas. See Arctic travel safety advice.

Before you travel, check that:

  • your destination can provide the healthcare you may need
  • you have appropriate travel insurance for local treatment or unexpected medical evacuation

This is particularly important if you have a health condition or are pregnant.

Emergency medical number

Dial 911 and ask for an ambulance.

Contact your insurance or medical assistance company promptly if you’re referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Vaccinations and health risks

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check:

  • the latest information on health risks and what vaccinations you need for Canada on TravelHealthPro (from the UK’s National Travel Health Network and Centre)
  • where to get vaccines and whether you have to pay on the NHS travel vaccinations page

Altitude sickness

Altitude sickness is a risk in parts of Canada, including the ski and hiking destinations in the Canadian Rockies, such as Banff and Lake Louise. More information about altitude sickness is available from TravelHealthPro.


The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or bought in the UK can be different in other countries.

TravelHealthPro explains best practice when travelling with medicines.

The NHS has information on whether you can take your medicine abroad.

Healthcare facilities in Canada

The cost of medical treatment can be very expensive. There are no special arrangements for British visitors. 

For emergency healthcare, go to a hospital emergency room or a walk-in clinic.

If you have dual British-Canadian citizenship, you may still have to pay for medical treatment if you don’t meet provincial residency requirements for healthcare. Check with the relevant province or territory for more information.

COVID-19 healthcare in Canada

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Canada on TravelHealthPro.

Seek medical assistance if you develop COVID-19 symptoms while in Canada. Follow the advice from Public Health Canada  for updates and guidance. These Twitter accounts are also official sources of information and guidance:

The TravelHealthPro website has more advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Travel and mental health

Read FCDO guidance on travel and mental health. There is also guidance on TravelHealthPro.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) cannot provide tailored advice for individual trips. Read this travel advice and carry out your own research before deciding whether to travel.

Emergency services in Canada

Telephone: 911 (ambulance, fire, police)

Find out about call charges

Coastguard maritime emergencies

Telephone: 1-800-463-4393

Find out about call charges

Contact your travel provider and insurer

Contact your travel provider and your insurer if you are involved in a serious incident or emergency abroad. They will tell you if they can help and what you need to do.

Refunds and changes to travel

For refunds or changes to travel, contact your travel provider. You may also be able to make a claim through insurance. However, insurers usually require you to talk to your travel provider first.

Find out more about changing or cancelling travel plans, including:

  • where to get advice if you are in a dispute with a provider
  • how to access previous versions of travel advice to support a claim

Support from FCDO

FCDO has guidance on staying safe and what to do if you need help or support abroad, including:

Find more support for British nationals abroad.

Contacting FCDO

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this travel advice is updated.

Help abroad in an emergency

If you are abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

You can also contact FCDO online.

FCDO in London

You can call FCDO in London if you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad.

Telephone: 020 7008 5000 (24 hours)

Find out about call charges

Risk information for British companies

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

A digital image at

Book a Hotel